ANNUAL MEETINGS

ANNUAL MEETING 01-25-2020

 

  CGPOA Annual Meeting

    January 25, 2020


Location: Donna Coon’s patio, 489 Sawyer Drive

 

Meeting called to order by President Greg Daniels at 1:19 PM.

Copies of Agenda and Treasurer’s report showing income, expenses, and our year-end funds of $52,636.22 were distributed.


Greg expressed a huge "Thank you” to  Donna Coon for providing this venue for our event!


Greg expressed a sincere “Thank You” to Coldwell Banker Realty for donating $2500 toward our Christmas party, which greatly reduced the cost of our dinners at a terrific party at Boondocks.


Roll call:


Introduction of President Greg Daniels,  Recording Secretary Cindy Dresow, and Directors: Mary Bell,  Dan Border, David Dornseif,  & Rich Schugar.  Directors not present, Treasurer Chris Cauley,  Walt Drabinski, & Pete Pedersen.


Special guests:  Sheriff Rick Ramsay & Captain Donnie Catala.  


Our Board is all volunteers.  Volunteers are needed.  Nancy Andrews has trimmed around the newsstands many times.  Others help by picking up trash.    Everyone was encouraged to volunteer to improve Cudjoe Gardens.
Greg asked for a volunteer for our Corresponding Secretary when Jan Edelstein moves in May.  Someone with a legal background would be most helpful.


Though not present, Nancy Andrews and Bob Schoneck were thanked for their efforts to combat proposed restrictive changes to the Marine Sanctuary.


New members, John & Jan Fritchey, from 5th Avenue West, were introduced.


Greg answered a question of why we donate to FIRM (Fair Insurance Rates for Monroe County), by saying that our yearly donation of $500 helps keep everyone’s insurance rates lower.


Sheriff Rick Ramsay was introduced, and expressed thanks for our close relationship with the Sheriff’s Department.  He stated that the proposed house to be built on  County property near the substation will provide housing for someone working within the sheriff’s department.   Overall crime has continued to decrease to an all time low in Monroe County.  The clearance rate of crimes has increased.  He assured us that our area is very safe.


Captain Catala encouraged everyone to call, or stop by the Sheriff’s station with any concerns.


Jo Socha pleaded with all of us to take an Emergency magnetic pouch home and fill it out for placement on the refrigerator.  Jo said that all EMT’s, police, and firemen look on the refrigerator for your medical and contact information in case of an emergency.


Tallied ballots confirmed new directors Kathy Niemann, who was introduced, and Andrew Daly not present.  Pete Pedersen and Dan Border were thanked for serving on the board until now.


Our 2020 Board consists of President Greg Daniels, Treasurer Chris Cauley, Corresponding Secretary Jan Edelstein (until May), Recording Secretary Cindy Dresow, Directors Mary Bell, Andrew Daly, David Dornseif, Walt Drabinski, 
Kathy Niemann, and Richard Schugar.


Being no further business,  meeting was adjourned at 1:58.


Respectfully submitted,
Cindy Dresow, Recording Secretary

bodtg 12-09-19

  

December 9, 2019

Location David Dornseif’s home, 20820 7th Ave. W.

Attending: President Greg Daniels, Treasurer Chris Cauley, Recording Secretary Cindy Dresow, Corresponding Secretary Jan Edelstein, Directors Mary Bell, Dan Border, David Dornseif, Walt Drabinski, and Pete Pederson. 

Guests: Nancy Andrews, Andrew Daly,  Bob Schoneck, and John Smittle. 

Meeting called to order at 7:03 by Greg Daniels

Guest Comments -

John Smittle, a sailor, who built here in 1985, gave a detailed accounting of where markers are needed to navigate the water after leaving the canals. After moving here, and finding the best channel, John petitioned the county to put in markers, which they did, according to his paper chart. CGPOA later took over the markers, after a hurricane messed them up. The board has received a letter from Wally & Ruth Naset, 6th Ave. W., asking that marker buoys be put back in place. John Smittle volunteered his huge laminated colored map, and assistance in working on the channel markers. Walt will lead the committee. Andrew Daly volunteered help. 

Greg Daniels requested that the GPS location be noted as each buoy is set. After all markers are set, Greg will take a google earth shot and post the buoy locations by their GPS coordinates, and then post for all residents.

Jan requested that a sheet with that information be included in welcome packets for new residents. 

John Smittle gave us his recipes to serve 50 people for Mongolian barbecues, as he was in charge of those CGPOA events.

National Marine Sanctuary Proposed Changes - Nancy Andrews and Bob Schoneck requested that we write or go online to show our opposition to proposed new restrictions. They have 150 packets signed. A packet includes a form representing Loggerhead Basin, Barracuda Key-Marvin Key and a form representing All 52 Proposed Zones. So with that being signed it’s 150 X 3 = 450 signed forms. The online site is www.regulations.gov. Use docket #NOAA-NOS-2019-0094.

Comments may be mailed to Sarah Fangman, Sanctuary Superintendent, Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary, 33 East Quay Road, Key West, FL. 33040. Public comments will be accepted in person, online, and by mail through January 31, 2020. The Board authorized Jan to file comments on behalf of CGPOA regarding the Sanctuary’s Blueprint based on her outline. She will circulate those comments to the Board for comment before filing.

November Board Meeting minutes - Cindy Dresow had e-mailed the minutes to all members. Minutes approved.

Treasurer’s report - read by Treasurer, Chris Cauley, and approved.

Florida Keys - Areas of Critical Concern - Jan reported pending litigation with the long term state planner regarding approving more ROGO units, without possibility of evacuation before a hurricane.

Wedding venues in residential neighborhoods - recently allowed in Upper Keys. A late appeal has been filed to overturn the ruling. 

Marine Sanctuary update - Jan’s letter was only a guideline. She will elaborate with facts for the full letter. 

Deed Restrictions - 224 Sawyer Dr.   President Daniels received a letter from the owner acknowledging the problem and reporting that he would get back to the Board with a plan to solve it. President Daniels has acknowledged the letter. The Board is awaiting further information from the owner, to discuss at the next meeting. 

Building Committee - No current issues.

Old Business -

Membership brochures - All were taped, labeled, stamped and mailed on November 8. Mailing list still has many duplicates and only block and lot numbers rather than street addresses. 

Christmas Party - Was Coldwell Banker thanked for their $2500 donation? A "Thank You" will be sent. Another “Thank You" will top our January e-minder. Dan & Gail arranged a successful Party: 73 signed up 71 attended. 

Annual newsletter proofs were shown, one in color, one in black and white. 

Board meeting will be Monday, January 13, at Cindy Dresow’s house at 21023 7th Ave. E. At 7 PM.

January Happy Hour Jan 16th at 5 PM, will be at Looe Key Tiki Bar, MM 27 1/2, Ramrod Key.

January 25 Annual meeting & Snowbird Party will be at 1PM, at Donna Coon’s patio, 489 Sawyer Drive. Chris Cauley is in charge of purchasing all hot dogs, buns and condiments, and have his hot dog cart on site.

Marina signs were placed by Bob Schoneck & Nancy Andrews. "Thank you” notes will be sent to them for installing the marina direction signs.

Entrance sign update - Mary Bell reported that she is having great difficulty getting the permit. Mary will talk with Jo Socha at the Sheriff Substation to ask if Sheriff Rick Ramsay’s approval might help us get the needed permit.

New Business - 

Updating mailing list - Chris said our data base has 200 addresses with only plot numbers, and no street addresses. Chris will go through all 90 membership brochures returned by the post office and find secondary mailing addresses. 

Annual Newsletters - We will order them in color, stuffed, stapled & folded. Board approved the cost not to exceed $1,000. Mary reported that advertisers have paid over $700. Newsletters & ballots must be mailed before Christmas.

Guests for Annual Meeting & Snowbird Party - Jo Socha has asked the Sheriff, Captain, and Lieutenant to attend. Jan will draft an invitation for Greg to send to our Commissioner, Michelle Coldiron.

Christmas Lighting Contest - Judging will be on the 20th. Committee members are Randy McDonald, Pete Pedersen & Rich Schugar.

Lighted Bike Parade - 6 PM, Saturday, December 21, Begins at at 20926 9th Ave. W, and ends there for a pot-luck party.

Possible Cudjoe Fishing Tournament - Walt will talk to Marina owners, and then lay out the plan. Chris Cauley volunteered to help once Walt gets it set up.

Bow Channel markers - A couple markers coming out of the Colson canal will be appreciated. 

New CGPOA Directory - Once the mailing list is current, we should assemble a new directory.  No one has yet volunteered to lead the effort. Jan has information from Bettye Kight she will share with the leader about how Bettye managed the data and production of the Directory.  Cindy volunteered to help. 

Open discussion - Chris Caulety is stepping down from Treasurer duties. Chris feels the mailing list responsibility is too tedious to be combined with being the Treasurer. He wants his e-mail address removed from all CGPOA Board discussions. He will continue as Treasurer ONLY if someone else takes over the mailing list responsibilities. He will ask Inca if she would take that on.

Pete Pedersen said he will be leaving the Board effective January’s Annual Meeting. Jan’s house is for sale; she intends to stay on the Board till they move in May.

Since Woody & Inca are not expected back till April, Cindy will ask Jo if we can use her sound system and mic for the annual meeting.

Being No further business, meeting was adjourned at 8:25 PM.

Respectfully Submitted,

Cindy Dresow, Recording Secretary

BODMTG 11-04-19 (pdf)

Download

MONTHLY MEETINGS


BODMTG 01-13-2020

  

CGPOA  Board of Directors Meeting

                                                                                                                                                                                             January 13, 2020

Location Cindy Dresow's home, 21023 7th Ave. E.

Meeting called to order at 7:02 by President Greg Daniels

Roll Call taken: 

Attending: President Greg Daniels, Treasurer Chris Cauley, Recording Secretary Cindy Dresow, Corresponding Secretary Jan Edelstein, Directors Mary Bell, Dan Border, David Dornseif, Walt Drabinski, and Pete Pedersen. 

Guests:  Omar & T.J. Fernandez, and Colby & Karlena Taylor

Guest Comments - Regarding a neighbor’s complaint to the Board, Omar Fernandez pointed out his right, pursuant to the deed restrictions which allow campers in his area of the Gardens, to have an airstream camper on his property.  He explained he has powered up the air conditioning to prevent mildew as he renovates this vintage camper and tapped in to his lateral to run rusty rinse water to the sewer rather than the canal.  He assured the board that the camper is not inhabited.

December Board Meeting minutes - Cindy Dresow had e-mailed the minutes to all members. After additions by Jan, Minutes approved.

Treasurer’s report - read by Treasurer, Chris Cauley, and approved.

Deed Restrictions - A letter will be sent to Stephen Gouze stating that no one is living in the camper at 643 Sawyer Dr.; thus there is no violation. Greg Daniels will follow-up again with the owner of property at 224 Sawyer Dr. regarding his promise of a plan to deal with the deed restriction violation. The owners of vacant lot at 21032 6th Ave. E. have paid for lot maintenance. Pete Pedersen will mow it soon. Regarding property at corner of 8th Ave. W. & Drost Dr. - Code Enforcement contacted President Greg Daniels requesting that we ask property owners to address plantings in the right of way. If the County polices this situation, all plantings in the right of way along Drost Dr.could be adversely affected. 

Building Committee – No new issues.

Florida Keys – Maintaining the Growth Limitaitons:   - Jan reported on a new grassroots to enlist the aid of the Governor in protecting the almost 30-year old growth limitations, which would be undermined if the “early evacuate building permits” (1300 ROGOs) are allowed to be issued.  The Board agreed to endorse the petition, which has already been endorsed by FOLKs, Last Stand, Sugarloaf Shores POA, and the Key Largo Federation of HOAs.  The next course of action will be to urge our members to sign the petition.   

The new FEMA flood map – Revised flood maps have been issued.  The flood height will change from 8’ elevation to 9.5’ elevation in our area. There is no science to support this. FEMA and the County are sponsoring workshops throughout the Keys for homeowners to learn about the changes.  Postcards have been sent to every property owner. 

Cudjoe Regional Wastewater Disposal Wells – At Jan’s request, Dan Border, retired P.E., joined the Petitioners’ site visit in early January, where their questions about the wastewater disposal were answered by 2 of the people in charge of running the wastewater plant. The plant design easily allows flows to the shallow wells. Questions raised were "What happens if there is an upsurge? The power goes out? Exceptional weather? One of the pumps is under maintenance?” The spokespeople agreed that these events do occur. The deep well needs to be the sole well for wastewater injection. Shallow wells need to be dedicated only as back-ups. Dan recommended there needs to be a method to monitor these flow rates. Jan will continue to work with the other Petitioners lawyers to try to get the shallow wells permitted for backup only before filing a petition challenging the recent improper renewal of the 2014 permits, which we had challenged.  Jan will remain as “Authorized Representative” until she moves, supported by Dan Border, who will become the Board’s wastewater contact person.  Walt offered to assist Dan if needed. 

Marine Sanctuary update - Jan’s fact-filled letter was sent to NOAA, clearly opposing the Lois Key/ Barracuda Key /Marvin Key additions and calling on the Sanctuary to change course and focus on water quality and population growth.  Nancy and Bob were outside the Nautical Flea Market in Big Pine Key, and collected more signed packets.

Programs - Thursday’s Happy Hour will be at Looe Key Tiki Bar, MM 27 1/2 on January 16th. CGPOA Snowbird Party will follow the annual meeting at 1PM Saturday, March 25.

Membership - 348 newsletters were sent out. Chris said the Post Office returned 21 as undeliverable. Chris willl search out new addresses.

Newsletters - All Property owners are to receive an annual newsletter. Newsletter information should be coordinated earlier so we are not addressing them during Christmas week.

OLD BUSINESS:

Review of upcoming Annual Meeting and Snowbird Party on January 25 -  

Chris Cauley said the hot dog stand has issues, so he needs an additional grill. Chris will purchase all hotdogs, rolls,100 bottles of water, and condiments with CGPOA funds. The Board agreed that 150 hotdogs should be purchased. If we have extras, they can be sold at the party. 

Dan Border reported he has 5 boxes of plates, cutlery, cups, and accessories that he wants someone to store after this event. He will inventory items to be sure we have plenty for the party.

Greg asked that helpers be at his house at 9AM on January 25 to pick up chairs and tables to truck to the venue at 489 Sawyer Drive, and set them all up. David Dornseif and Pete Pedersen will help Greg. Dan Border will deliver the bins. Cindy Dresow will bring the name tags and markers. Cindy & Mary will check in attendees. Rich Schugar will direct parking. Any questions, call Greg (305) 407-4009.

Christmas light judging, and bike parade - Ideas are needed to increase decorating participants. 

Entrance sign update - Mary said the person in charge of processing our permit has been sick, but she should return next week.

Possible Cudjoe Gardens Fishing Tournament - Walt will inquire with Alan at the Marina. 

Channel markers - Mark and Pete reset 3 Chanel markers for sailboats. GPS locations were not observed. Greg will put channel marker information together for new residents. 

NEW BUSINESS:

Spring Fling Party - Cindy Dresow will check with Boondocks, Kiki’s and Mangrove Mamas to learn what they would provide for 60 - 70 guests, and at what cost.

Most would prefer a Sunday afternoon party, rather than Thursday, as it’s been in the past. The party should be before the end of March.  The Board agreed to make a decision by e-mail about which venue.

CGPOA Facebook Usage - Greg Daniels wants us to encourage everyone to check our Facebook page, as it is a good source to get information to everyone.

Membership Drive - After electing a new Board, a door-to-door membership drive will be enacted. We need to focus on 5 or 6 items membership would provide.  

A Right hand turn lane from Drost Dr. to US 1 - was suggested by Cindy Dresow. Perhaps Sheriff Ramsay would suggest it to the DOT.

Overseas Heritage Trail Bike Path - In 2024, the bike trail will extend from MM 21 to MM 16. Design phase is beginning. We’ll need to make our voice heard about the need for an extension of the path on the southside of the road to the old Pirate Wellness Building, and perhaps beyond.  

Being No further business, meeting was adjourned at 8:17 PM. 

Respectfully Submitted,

Cindy Dresow, Recording Secretary